One of the most popular projects for both beginners and experience crochet lovers are baby blankets. Whether you are looking for a unique pattern for a new-born grandchild or need a hand-made gift for an upcoming baby shower, these projects are a delight to make. We’ve created a perfect tasteful collection of heirloom and modern blankets—crochet one now and save the rest for the future.
Play around with materials, colors, stitches. Everything is allowed! Crochet is a magnificent adventure that opens the doors to your wildest imagination and creativity.
10 Best Crochet Baby Blankets To Create
1. This heirloom baby blanket pattern uses diagonal cluster stitch that creates a delicate lace fabric. Pattern has both written instructions and easy-to-follow video tutorial. You would need a size H-8 (5 mm) Crochet Hook and 10 Skeins Cascade Cherub DK in Smokey Lavender (or other similar yarn).
2. Looking for a quick crochet pattern to make right now? Easy Shell Stitch Blanket is for you! Surprisingly easy crochet shell stitch pattern will let you create a beautiful baby blanket – and you don’t need to be a master of all things crochet. Suitable for beginners, this quick project is a breeze to make with only 2 rows repeat pattern. You can use one color yarn or pick a pallet that would be best for baby’s nursery color scheme (neutral, blue, or pink) – possibilities are endless, just use your creativity.
3. Love this Granny Square Blanket in neutral colors – they look fresh and modern! Easy-to-follow instructions with clear photos are a plus, especially if you are already familiar with granny square pattern: you will work two double crochet clusters into each corner, with a chain 1 in between them. You will work 1 dc cluster into each space between the clusters in the previous round. Use H or I crochet hook and Paintbox Yarn Simply Aran in ‘Washed Teal’, ‘Paper White’, and ‘Slate Gray’ color to replicate the pattern’s color scheme. Colors can be easily changed if you have a different pallet in mind.
4. If you’re looking for a fun, quick project then you’d love making this Cozy Clusters baby blanket. It was designed to be crocheted with a large hook and bulky weight yarn to build up super fast for those of you who don’t have the patience for larger projects. An added bonus – this thick and soft blanket is sure to keep your baby cozy and warm in the upcoming winter months. You would need a size J-10 (6 mm) Crochet Hook and 6 Skeins Knit Picks Mighty Stitch Bulky Yarn in Blush.
5. Next project, called “Henry’s blanket” by its designer, uses Cascade Longwood yarn in four neutral colors, which makes it a perfect neutral modern baby blanket. It has a beautiful stitch definition that would be important in a textured blanket like this. When finished, it will turn out to be a heavy, warm blanket, perfect for draping over the car seat of a winter baby. This blanket would make a gorgeous, modern statement for a boy or a girl, depending on the colors you pick.
6. If you’re on the lookout for an elegant and beautiful baby shower gift, then you’ve come to the right place. This Beautiful Reversible Shell Stitch Baby Blanket is just the pattern you need! Using a crochet shell stitch you’ll create a reversible baby blanket that both parent and baby will enjoy. Pick two complementary colors to match the nursery or just one color and you’re ready to go. No matter how you look at it, this baby blanket crochet pattern is pretty and fun.
7. This pattern is available as a free Ravelry download (you would need to register for a free Ravelry account). Feather and Fan wavy baby blanket in gorgeous pastel colors is a delight to create. Instructions are given for basic feather and fan pattern together with pattern for a pastel rainbow baby blanket. This will enable users to make their own customized baby blanket.
8. This Circles of Love crochet blanket by Drops Design is a variation on beloved granny squares (35 squares total). Free pattern has written instructions and helpful video tutorials, as well as squares design layout, list of materials needed, and assembly instructions. Simply gorgeous!
9. Next pattern is Baby Snug by DROPS Design – crochet blanket with zigzag pattern in ”Alpaca” in two sizes: small (25½”x 32¾”) and large (29½”x 32¾”). With clear written instructions, video tutorials and list of materials, this is a winner. Pattern requires 200-250 g off-white, 100 g dark fuchsia, 100 g cerise 100 g violet, 50 g light pink. Use crochet hook size 5 mm (H/8) to achieve needed gauge.
10. Baby Bloom by DROPS Design crochet blanket is a gorgeous piece with lacy flower squares measuring approx 68 x 86 cm (26 ¾” x 33 7/8”). Clear written instructions and video tutorials are posted to explain how to crochet 20 diamonds (check comments and corrections to the pattern). You can easily substitute colors to create a different color scheme.